The department of Civil Engineering of University of West Attica (UWA) organizes from October 2018, Postgraduate Program (MSc) entitled “Structural Engineering” according to the provisions of law 3685/2008 and based on the Regulation of Operation of Undergraduate programs of UWA. This Program is of duration of 4 semesters and has been approved by the Ministry of Education with Decision No. 112443/E5 Official Journal of the Hellenic Republic 2076/26-8-2013. It is addressed to Civil Engineers, Architects, Surveyor Engineers, graduates of Technological Educational Institutions and also to graduates of foreign Universities (holders of Bachelor).
Applications of Attendance in the Master program will be submitted from 15/07/2018 or by presence in the Secretariat of MSc program or with e-mail letter.
Aim of MSc Program is to cover the needs of market of Engineers for knowledge, so that they are capable to execute analysis and design of existing structures. Specifically, the graduates will be able to perform the assessment and the retrofitting of structures (Reinforced Concrete, Steel, or Masonry structures) using Eurocodes, Greek regulation code (KANEPE) and suitable software such as Scada and Instant, as it is required today by the Building Authorization offices in order to approve the blueprints for additional construction or retrofit of existing structures.
Thus, at the study of MSc Program are examined extensively five thematic regions, as follows:
- Seismic design of reinforced concrete or steel or masonry or stonemasonry structures with the use of Eurocodes or Greek codes.
- Simulation and the analysis of civil engineering structures with the use of software such as finite element analysis, Static or Dynamic Analysis, linear or non- linear analysis.
- Seismic upgrade of structures with strengthening or repair with materials friendlily to sustainable development.
- The project management of structures with simultaneous assessment of its remaining strength estimated by using direct methods or non- destructive methods and the evaluation of all nature of losses (human, social, economic and technical) due to seismic excitation.
Objective of MSc program is the acquisition of specialized scientific knowledge and skills from postgraduate students in the mentioned above regions, so that they are able to:
- To develop their abilities in performing analysis and solution of problems, that emerge during the design, supervision, construction and administration of a structural work.
- To execute analysis and design of new or existing structures by using the acquisition of sufficient knowledge background.
- To develop methods for energy upgrade and bioclimatic design of structures.
The postgraduate program uses in theoretical as well as in practical level:
- The methodologies that originate from the scientific fields of strength of materials, statics and dynamic analysis of structures, simulation of structures with the use finite elements, theory of business administration and management , that are used in the design of structures and in their upgrade (seismic and energy) with repair or strengthening methods.
- The technical and methodological approaches for the design and analysis of civil structures from variety of materials and calculation of their strengths with different methods.
- The use and effective application of available software suitable for the analysis and design for new and repaired or strengthened existing structures.
- The use of available information technology and knowledge on the creation of structures energy upgraded with sustainable materials.
- The seismic risk assessment and the expected losses in human, technical and economic level. Management and administration of construction works with assessment of seismic risk and losses in various levels.
In this MSc program, academic staff is formed by Professors, instructors and collaborators of University of West Attica, as well as Professors from Greek School of Military Aeronautics. Also, distinguished professional in the area of seismic upgrading of structures are occupied in this program.